Water’s Role in Your Body
Water helps nearly every part of the human body function efficiently. Considering that our bodies are almost two-thirds water, it’s important to understand water’s role in a healthy lifestyle. Here are just some of the things water does in your body:
- Your brain is 75% water.
- Your bones are 22% water.
- Your muscles are 75% water.
- Your blood is 92% water.
- Water carries nutrients and oxygen to all cells in the body.
- Water is required for breathing.
- Water moistens oxygen for breathing.
- Water regulates your body temperature.
- Water protects and cushions vital organs.
- Water cushions joints.
- Water helps to convert food into energy.
- Water helps your body absorb nutrients.
- Water removes waste.
©2016 IBWA (International Bottled Water Association)
Steps to Drinking More Water
- Start with your easiest step first!
- Drink a cup of water when you wake up.
- Take water with you to work.
- Set a timer to stand up and drink water every hour at work. It’s also a great way to add activity to desk jobs.
- Drink a large cup of water after you drink a cup of coffee or other caffeinated beverage.
- Drink water before, during and after your exercise workout or activity.
- Drinks lots of water when you are perspiring.
- Fill and bring a water bottle with you when leaving home.
- Offer your children water for thirst.
- Pack water in place of juice, soda, sports or high energy drinks in your child’s lunch box.
- Drink a cup of water before you go to bed.